Sports Development Program
I. SPORT DEVELOPMENT
Sport Development is the promotion of sports activities for the community. Sport Development depend largely on effective partnership and networking with a wide range of community groups, service providers, facility operators, National Governing bodies, local authorities and voluntary group. Students are identified through a series of trials and are provided sport specific training and skill development as part of their education
- Provide opportunities for students to develop sports career pathways to international standards.
- Provide equal opportunities for both boys and girls
- Increase the level of interest, participation and development of youths in our local sport communities
- Through sport, develop young people into responsible, healthy and active members of society
- Produce young male and female athletes of the standard required to participate at an elite or professional level
II. Sport development systems have two main objectives:
- To increase the number of participants actively engaged in sport
- To enhance the quality of performances in sport
III. Three tasks necessary for an effective Sports Development:
- Athlete recruitment – requires the assistance of significant others, as well as the proliferation of many smaller, local-level sport programs
- Athlete retention – requires a focus on motivation, socialization, and commitment.
- Athlete transitions – requires a programs to be linked vertically and that athletes be aided in processes of locating and socializing into new levels of involvement.
IV. Pyramid analogy in sport development.
- High Performance Sport- where the emphasis is on winning prestigious competitions, is distinguished from “mass sport” or “recreational sport”, where the emphasis is on attracting the maximum number of participants.
- Competitive Sport – physical activity which, through casual or organized participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing entertainment to participants, and in some cases, spectators.
Mass-participation Sport – endurance sporting event can be loosely defined as any endurance competition that has the potential to generate a significant number of casualties due to the large number of participants or the potential injury risk